Hematology Oncology Associates recognizes the complex needs after cancer treatment and the importance of surveillance, prevention, and education so you are the strongest advocate for your integrated care. Survivorship one-on-one visits are provided by Esther L. Hehn, Doctor of Nursing Practice, who is a board-certified Adult-Gerontological Primary Care Nurse Practitioner specializing in cancer survivorship care. A special one-hour visit has been scheduled by your oncologist since you have finished active treatment for your cancer, with additional follow-up visits as necessary, with a focus on:
- Recovery from treatment and improving health and well-being.
- Strategies to improve neuropathy, memory issues, and fatigue.
- Evidence-based impact of nutrition, medication, exercise, alcohol, and smoking that will decrease your risk of cancer recurrence.
- Managing issues with intimacy caused by cancer or its treatment.
- Strategies to help look forward and reduce anxiety and depression.
- Help with smoking cessation.
- Follow-up plans for the next five years to monitor your health.
- Referrals to local and national resources that may be helpful to you.
We encourage you to keep this survivorship appointment, as your oncologist has attempted to schedule it at a time that you need follow-up evaluation, physical examination, and perhaps other testing, and this will be provided at this visit also. Your insurance will be billed and you will be responsible for your regular office visit co-pay at the visit. These visits are covered by insurance, as survivorship care is now a national standard of quality cancer care. Our goal is to help you answer the “Now what?” question, and to help improve your quality of life post-cancer.
Please call us at 541-774-5853 if you have any questions.